Thursday, January 14, 2010

week 2

Week 2 seemed to go ok. I think we might be mastering top, middle, and bottom (as to shelves and blocks) colors red, yellow, green and blue, numbers 1, 2, 3. still don’t follow directions very well. Love to sing “where is thumbkin.” It was a short week—Wednesday we got out early, there was a funeral for the wife of the last synod executive and tomorrow (Friday is Chalimbwe day-he was the first freedom fighter in malawi against the colonial powers). And the end of the week couldn’t come too soon. I woke up Wednesday with a slightly scratchy throat and Thursday I lost my voice at break time (about 9:45am). I’m learning a little more Chichewa though my answers are still very forced (too much thinking)
Ma swela bwanji- how are you this afternoon?
Nda swela bwino, kaya inu- fine and you?

I asked today how to say sit down and be quiet. I might be breaking those out in class on Monday if I can somehow commit them to memory.

Last night I went to a meeting of the school team (group that has help to get the school up and running). They were meeting with the education secretary about how to register Ebenezer school. Must have 4 class rooms (almost there) bathrooms, playground, 2 staff houses, and certified teachers. 1 toilet per 10 girls and 8 boys (odd way to divide I think). So the plan is to register as soon as the second building block and the toilets are finished.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your reports, Jessi. Please keep them coming! Allene

    ReplyDelete