Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Keys--who needs 'em?

Locked out! Welcome to day 3…I got to see my classroom and meet Don who had been teaching my class and is waiting to hear where he will be working (teaching) in Lilongwe. And then back to my house to see if I could break into my own place. 3 of the house workers, 5 kids who have just watched a lot of MacGyver and screens, bars and closed windows all around… lovely. An hour later, pry off the screen framework and send a kid through the bars and I’m back in and hope I have learned my lesson to keep my keys with me always. I walked around Nkhoma with Don to see the water treatment (nice system but not working right now), path to the mountain, nearby village, other schools in town and back through the hospital. He greets so many and they greet me but I can’t get the hang of the Chichewa (or even recognize that they are talking to me). Zikoma (thank you) (pronounced—zee-coma) is used constantly, hello, good bye, thanks and over and over again. Muli bwanji (how are you), ndili bwino kaya inu (I’m fine and you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment