Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First day of School

I was all ready for my first day. How to remember their names would be a challenge but I could handle that. Meet the teachers see the kids as they drop their bags and run out to play before school. Ready with calendar exercises and a little Bible lesson. They come inside. And I loose all control. They sit for only a moment when chaos reigns. I ask questions and get no response. Asked to draw something they do during the day and I get numbers. Lots of yelling (on their part-I’m pretty collected at least on the outside). Time goes by so slowly. But finally it is recess time. And they are out the door. When they come back in I’ve set up stations. And they all run to the coloring/scissors station and ignore the rest. Ok. Except there are only 4 pairs of scissors…learning to share to the tune of yelled miss jessi miss jessi or teacher jessi teacher jessi. Oh lala. And finally they go home. I think I’m ready too. What was I thinking?!! I fall into bed when I get home (2pm). But after a few hours and some perspective I’m “ready” for day 2.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear you are over there now and more or less in one piece. I predict you won't have a boring moment during your entire stay. Do you still need more books? I'm on the Mission Committee at church and thought it would make a great little project for some of the kids at some point this year.

    Love,

    Allene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you and am eagerly looking forward to hearing more.

    Ralph

    ReplyDelete