Friday, January 29, 2010

Lilongwe

I went in bright and early as I was able to catch a ride from the hospital with a doctor going to work in a clinic in Lilongwe. The car was similar to a Jeep Cherokee and we put in 7 people and luggage. Made us feel more like we were in Africa. I went in with 2 med students who had to go and join the Malawi Medical Council and other various errands. Joining the Med Council was easy. Then we had breakfast and headed to the Immigration office for my visa. I went in gave the man my passport and he asked what I wanted. “to extend my visa.” “go back to your country. What is wrong with your country? I will extend you 2 days” “what? That’s not nearly enough. I’m not ready to leave.” “how long do you want then?” “60 days. Well, actually can you give me 5 months?” “I’ll extend you 2 days” as he writes 60 days and sends me to the cashier to pay for the visa. Well, now I know that I’m here till the end of March.

2 comments:

  1. I congratulate you on completing your first month (and signing up for the next 60 days you got out of them).
    Did your missing luggage every find you?
    What's the day to day weather like (temps -high/low, rain)?
    What one food would you like to have to share with the kids?
    With my prayers,
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. my luggage arrived the sunday after i did which was nice though i had to go back to lilongwe to get it. at least it was there. we're in the rainy season now so it rains at least a little everyday. making everything muddy but cooling it off. other times it is hot and humid. don't know actual temps. let me think on the food question. i feel like you can find almost anything here if you know where to look and don't mind the expense.

    ReplyDelete