Monday, December 6, 2010

xray

My foot was still giving me some pain…usually after I had spent all day walking on it. buty I was told that I should get an xray done just to be sure. Well the Monday was sore but was able to put off/avoid the xray. However that night my foot was quite sore and when I woke up the next morning even before getting out of bed my foot was still throbbing. So after school and lunch I walked over with rhona and got the picture taken…no break…just bruised so it would really help if I’d quit walking on it…can’t see that happening but I do try to take it a little easier and cut down some on the amount of walking I do. After the xray I went to see Rhona and Floor (dutch med student) put up the rest of the mosquito nets. They’d done the rest that morning and only had one more room to do. The patients were excited but apprehensive I think. And some of them thought it was a personal gift…on the ward round the next day rhona got her translator to explain that the nets had to stay at the hospital even when the patients left.

Rhona has also instituted bedtime—when she goes over and starts to put the nets down over the beds. This also is quite amusing to the patients. The first one done was laughed at until she moved to the next bed and then they realized it was going to happen to all of them. In the morning on the ward round one of the patients complained that they had pain in their face from sleeping under the net. The next night one of the rooms had done it themselves (which is the hope). Others tried to say it was too hot (which is understandable to me except that) so they were told to take at least 1 of the several blankets off of them and “use” the net. We’ll have to see if and how it catches on. The latest I’ve heard is that one of the women had spread the rumor that sleeping under a net will mean that you can’t ever get pregnant. Hard to combat rumors of all kinds but this could be very bad for the female ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment