Monday, December 6, 2010

esther according to the book

Teaching money out of an american textbook is a little bit difficult to do in Malawi. I don’t have pictures of the money here that I can photocopy. I tried to do a drawing and I thought it was ok (not great by any means) but it didn’t seem to work when we used in class or on the homework. So now we just do it in class with real money. They seem to do ok with it (not too surprising as it is very exciting to have money). Still working on counting by tens and then changing to counting the ones and last week we introduced the fives. (I was then out all week so I don’t know how that went yet) I’ve gone through and changed most of the problems that have to do with dimes, nickels, and pennies so that they make a little more sense in this context. I have to point this out each time to esther who continues to read directly from the book and then has questions about what they should do. But we’re working on it and it is getting better. Now I’ve been given some pictures of Malawian money for copies and that will hopefully work when I send it home for homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment