Thursday, March 15, 2012

observations?

I’ve mentioned what they yell at us as we walk:
Azungu!
Give me money (pen, exercise book…take your pick)
Give me my money.
What’s your name?
Where are you going? Coming from?
And all of these are repeated whether you respond or not. Over and over and over. And depending on the day you’ve had or the mood you’re in (often a mirror of the day you had)—determines how you respond…whether cringing and wishing you were invisible, responding good naturedly, responding not so nicely, ignoring it all or finding it entertaining…well entertaining is probably not the right word but sometimes you will get a very small child and then it is just cute and makes you smile…
I was talking with some Malawians once about travel. And going to my country or other places. And they asked if they were to walk around in our country what would people yell out at them. Nothing. We don’t yell at others. (at least usually) it is so cultural here that they couldn’t fathom that it doesn’t happen elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment