Thursday, March 22, 2012

accustomed


There are things that you think you will never get used to…and things you think you will get used to…and sometimes you are right and sometimes you aren’t. while living in Barbara’s house the first time I never noticed that you could hear the hospital…this time you would hear it if you listened…and sadly it is mostly the screams of children as the pediatric ward is the closest. Last week I was sitting on the porch watching the full moon and listening…it took a while but as I was listening I heard the dogs, the bugs and then underneath (or over) it all I could hear the sound of the pediatric ward. It is (sadly yet a relief) easy enough to block out…(you do know that they are getting care)
Last year I was up early all the time. Now I’m still up early though often not quite as early…and living in Barbara’s house the rooms were much darker and it made it much harder to get up early…but then I moved back into the cottage and it was early mornings once again…(probably also comes with living so close to William Murray boys school—they are up early). It gives the impression of the day being longer, more time to do things though I don’t necessarily think that more gets done.
It often takes new eyes, new perspectives to bring back to mind the things that are around each day…the same happens at home. You get used to what is around and no longer see the beauty and novelty of your surroundings. That is one of the great things about having new people coming in and out of nkhoma…it helps keep your eyes open to the wonders of the creation that are always all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment