Friday, May 11, 2012

Cape Mac


Went to the lake last weekend with Ute (before she left the country for a month) and her month-long replacement Dirk. We went to Cape Maclear and were lucky enough to get a room as everything seemed to be booked. There was fuel available again so I think that everyone was headed for the lake…Cape Maclear is beautiful with many options for places to stay and eat and even drink within walking distance but I prefer Senga Bay where there are choices to stay but you then stay where you are. There seems to be less traffic and hassle for foreigners…but anyway.
The waters are more still at the Cape, protected maybe but we could see snails in the water (belharzia hazard)…so I didn’t swim as much but then I did still swim. Ute and Dirk went to have dinner with some of the other medical personel there so I went to Gecko Lounge to meet up with some of the people who had come from the Guest House…turns out there were 14 of them…I think it was pretty much the whole guesthouse! And then I turned around and Linn and Mike and some friends were also there…technically from Lilongwe but still the nkhoma connection…we were staying in different places so it was still a time away but everyone was still quite close…
Before leaving I met a group of men from South Africa who had come up on motorcycles…and they also had a connection to nkhoma. One of the men had been before and his son had stayed for a couple of months and his daughter is going to come up with an outreach group this july…I asked who his son was (as I’ve been here so long)…and turns out I know Bertus! (of course-as we overlapped) Bertus was here teaching at the private boys school…such a small world and fun to meet family of someone you know…gives you a more complete picture of the person…

No comments:

Post a Comment