Wednesday, February 22, 2012

real life

Living in a real house on the ground floor means that there are more people knocking on the door either begging or selling things. Living in the cottage and keeping the door closed at the bottom level means that I don’t get very many “visitors” there (anymore). So back to the ground level it felt that every time I turned around there was someone else knocking…when I woke up on Tuesday there were voices outside the door…I couldn’t tell how many people that was but they kept talking and getting louder and louder. I went to answer and four people there selling rounds of rope…they come every week…I bought one round and they were not happy. Later that morning I found out that Rebecca buys all the rope each week (I have no idea what she does with all of it)…but I had made myself understood the lady of the house would be back in two weeks (they weren’t happy obviously as they didn’t come back the next week—while I was still there but are probably coming again now.) then I came home for lunch the same day and there was someone on the front porch begging and about 15 minutes later there was another at the back porch. Gave them some ufa (maize flour) which is their staple and while I felt good about it on one hand I wasn’t giving with a joyful heart…felt pushed and guilted into it and that just doesn’t leave you with a great feeling. I think that they have it pretty well sorted though that Tuesdays are the days for people to come by because I didn’t get too many others while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment