Sunday, April 11, 2010

new students

I got two new students on march 22. Grant and Frank are from one of the nearby villages and they had been in first grade at the public school but as they have very little English they are in kindergarten at Ebenezer. They came in to class and stuck together and for the first two days I kept calling them by the wrong name (I think I’ve got it now). They have the same wide eyed expression that my 2 girls from the village had but have much more energy and less inhibitions about trying new things or getting started even when they don’t know what is going on. I think it will go well as they both seem to want to learn I just have to figure out a way to keep them interested and learning as well as keep the rest of the class moving while I catch them up. It has been very helpful to have Lawrence (school assistant) in the classroom much more often as translator both for my directions to the kids and for what they are trying to say to me but don’t have the English for yet. At the end of their day one I wasn’t sure what they got from school (if anything) or if they liked it but they both said very enthusiastically Tu onana mmawa (see you tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment