Monday, April 19, 2010

malaria?

Friday I also wasn’t feeling great. Not bad but as soon as the kids left at noon I deflated. Went home and laid on the couch…not hungry just tired. Decided I should eat something but it didn’t help and I went back to lying on the couch. When Rhona came home for lunch she said I should get a malaria test…I was achy and tired and my insides were rumbly. She offered to bring one home but I felt like I could get to the hospital. She pricked my finger and got the blood she needed and went to take it to the lab. I sat on a chair and got extremely faint and nauseous and then sick. Home to await the results. Katie (med student) came over with malaria treatment and said the test had come back positive but that didn’t necessarily mean anything since the lab person always gives azungus positive results because they are afraid of getting it wrong in the other direction. So I could take the pills and assume malaria or come back for another test. It is a lot of pills so I decided to go back and try again. another prick and a negative result so no pills (no malaria!) for me I just have to wait whatever it was out. Home again where I got sick again and then lay down for the rest of the day. I was fine as long as I didn’t move.

I was much better Saturday. Not well enough to think I could take a trip to the lake with the rest of the crew but well enough to leave the house for the market and to collect a computer so we could watch some movies. Sunday was even better—church and a long walk to the river Lintepe and dinner with the returning travelers…seems like a full recovery! 24 hour bug or something (probably caught from my kids) i'm almost 100% now...still some funny gurglings from my stomach but no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment