Friday, September 20, 2013

Serving

This past week there have been a couple of verses that have come up repeatedly have been about not putting yourself first. (Matthew 23:11, the Beatitues, Luke 14:7-11) Sitting down lower than 'your place' so that the host will move you up and not down. To be the servant in all that you do...opting for the more menial jobs that can only mean upward movement for you. And I've realized that I don't necessarily do this easily. I suppose not many people do but that isn't the point either. It is something we should strive to do. 
Today I was working  on the high school construction site. I went out thinking we were going to be working to finish the roof, but the plan change as soon as we got there...at least as far as I could tell. During the days that I hadn't been on site they had poured the porch of the caretaker's house. We started by taking the concrete forms off of the porch floor. (Concrete forms are wood and steel put together to form the concrete into the show desired when it is poured.) Then we had to clean the forms so they will be ready to use next time. I didn't say anything but say there cleaning and thinking that this is not what I came to do. Then we started putting posts up for the porch and we ended with putting the trusses (roof supports) on the porch and finishing some of the purlins. So I did do roofing and so much more. 
Even though I didn't have the whole picture in mind and couldn't see how everything tied in together I was helping with the bigger picture all along from cleaning up the site to hammering and drilling. After all my grumbling (in my head), at the end of the day I was happy and felt productive from what we had accomplished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment