Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Construction




Last week I taught 2 days (Tuesday and Wednesday to staff, teachers, and translators) and then got to go work construction. We had 3 guys in to help start up the high school construction. In about a week they have just about finished the caretaker’s house which was the first building to go up. These guys are masons and contractors in the states and came down to move things and that they did. The foundation was poured and the blocks started going up. The 2 masons were teaching a different method for  laying the concrete block that will look more like the American way of laying (with a smaller joint but also stronger). I worked with the contractor who was making the roof trusses and got to used some power tools…a drill to screw everything together and put some holes in boards for spacers. I was applauded by one of the guys who comes to my translator class (impressed with my board holding skills). I was encouraged by Fre Pierre, our gate keeper, who is so wonderful and so happy to see me working at whatever is going on. Each time I see him he gives me a big smile, hug and tells me that we are family. I was told by one of the teachers that I couldn’t do that work because it was too hard. I looked at her, smiled and said it is too hot but it is not too hard for me. Repeat twice and watched her walk away unconvinced. It was hot and sweaty and I loved it.
On Saturday we put the trusses on the house and secured them with the purlins (construction term for wood across rafters). It was hot work but the house is looking pretty good. We have more purlins to put up when they get painted before the tin can go on the roof but I’d say it looks pretty good!
I also got a chance to bend rebar. That is some tough stuff but with the right tools I was able to bend and cut steel!


They have also started the digging of the foundation area for the first classroom building! I’m glad I don’t have to dig…

No comments:

Post a Comment