Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Guacamole

Avocados are in season! While we haven’t had them as often as they told me they were having them before I arrived, we are having them and that makes me so happy. When I went to church with Missy a couple of weeks ago, she stopped on our way home and bought me a couple. They were wonderful.
I was eating one and Madame Florino, our cleaning lady, came into the cafeteria. I offered her part and she accepted. The next day she came with a whole one for me as a gift! She said she would have brought some earlier but she didn’t know that I liked them. She is so sweet.
One of the teachers that took my class last year brought me a sack full. It shows that they really do listen in class and remember that I am a huge fan of avocados. I never expected to get them as gifts. She warned me that they weren’t ripe yet and I assured her I would wait to eat them.
So I decided to make guacamole. There are so many different recipes out there and so many different things you can add to it but I went for the basic (out of necessity mostly)—avo, tomato, onion, salt, pepper. I had it ready for dinner to eat with the rice and beans and whatever sauce we were also having that night. The Haitians I saw (both walking back from buying the onion and in the community center) looked at me like I was crazy for what I was about to do. They know that I don’t cook and they do not eat onions (or much else) without cooking them. It was a hit with anyone who tried it (not many did). And it made me very happy.
Repatriate church is moving forward!
The seasons of fruit (and other things) remind me of God’s timing. It is not always when we want it but it comes when it is right. It also depends on how we use what we are given. We can keep it to ourselves or we can share it with others. Sharing brings relationships, new experiences, and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment