Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I’ve got a few reflections coming on the church experience here. Well I think I do, though my plans often change. I was given a Creole/French hymnal at the beginning of my stay which is very helpful for me to sing any of the hymns. That is, if I can find them. Many times I believe that the worship/song leader does call out a number but he only does it once and often I’m not ready for it. Most Haitians as well do not have hymnals. They either know the hymns or follow the leader as he does a little lead in. So while I often spend the first half of the song searching (and getting extremely frustrated because I feel that I should be able to understand the numbers at least) the energy in the congregation is mounting and is contagious. Sometimes I give up looking and just hum and sway along with the music. But when I do find the song, I’m pretty happy and sing at the top of my voice. (not that I can be heard because everyone around me is doing the same) I also find that with the songs in French or Creole that I pay attention more to the words and the meanings (not that I understand them all) but I find myself more moved by the lyrics (as well as the melody)…though some songs I really wish they would sing faster (others I can’t keep up with). Many of them have familiar tunes or are actually the songs that I know (usually just can’t put my finger on because the words aren’t the same—because they are in a different language). This was one on Sunday that touched me.
(pardon the translation...it is mine)

1. Tu payas mon salut                                    You have paid for my well-being
Par ton grand sacrifice,                                  With your great sacrifice,
O Jésus, quelle merveilleux amour!                 Oh Jesus, what marvelous love!
Désormais pour ton saint                                From now on for you holy
Et glorieux service                                         And glorious service
Ton racheté se donne en retour.                     Your purchase will give itself in return.

Choeur
Je viens à ton autel,                                       I come to your altar,
Offrande volontaire,                                     A voluntary offering,
Librement je veux server mon Roi;                I want to freely serve my King;
Je ne veux désormais                                   However, I don’t want
Que ta gloire, ô mon Père                           Your glory, oh my Father
Ne vivre que par Toi,                                  To live only by you,
Que pour Toi.                                             But for you.

2. Prends tout ce que je suis,                       Take all that I am,
Prends mon coeur et mon âme,                   Take my heart and my soul,
Que tout mon être te soit livré!                    That all my being will be yours!
Contrôlé par l’Esprit,                                  Controlled by the Spirit,
Animé de ta flamme,                                   Animated by your passion (fire),              
Et de ta Parole pénétré.                              And penetrated by your Word.

3. Seigneur, de jour en jour,                        Lord, from day to day,
Transforme à ton image                              Transform into your image
Ton enfant, ton heureux racheté;                 Your child, your happy purchase;
Devant moi n’est qu’un but                         Before me is only one goal
Jusqu’au bout du voyage,                           Until the end of the voyage,
Connaître et faire ta volonté.                       To know and do your will.

(Tune: He was Nailed to the Cross)

How we should want to do right always...free offering--not when we are free or feeling good. To live for God--that others see God's glory through us and not us doing the 'right' thing. Hard to do but something to aim for.

No comments:

Post a Comment