Tuesday, November 8, 2011

sunday school

Some weeks ago I went to church (I have been since then but this is for the story). Isabelle was here and we had sat down for the service. We listened to the different choirs and at the end of that time there was an announcement for the children to leave for Sunday school. Then we bowed our heads for prayer. I put my head down and before I knew it Willeke was right next to me…and she said would you mind doing Sunday school. I’ve done it once before (I did have more warning) and was given coloring sheets and the story (Abraham sacrificing Isaac—not easy for Sunday school). Well, ok. We went out and were pointed to the top of the church under the trees where there were about 15 kids waiting for us. And that was it…no story or supplies or anything…now I’m pretty confident in my bible knowledge and being able to tell stories and keep kids busy but with no notice and no planning my mind was completely blank. Luckily the ter haar girls were there and they helped me lots. Singing songs while I rack my brains for something to do for the next hour (or so…)
I decided on the good Samaritan and who is my neighbor. Most of the kids are Malawian and many of them don’t speak much English at all…so I told the story with as many motions and movements as I could. And then we acted it out…with robbers, and a priest, levite, Samaritan, innkeeper…it looked like they were enjoying the story and understanding though really I have no idea. Then we sang more songs and played duck, duck, goose. I think it was pretty successful but I’m going to have to come up with some more ideas as I think I might get sprung upon again…

1 comment:

  1. What a creative answer to another of God's callings. How blessed they are to have you their with your dedication and love.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete