Monday, November 7, 2011

electric mower

For a country that often has power cuts and water shortages and now fuel shortages I was quite surprised when Jamie Veitch from next door (for the time I’m house sitting) came by with an electric mower to cut the grass at Ute’s house (on the other side of me). Jamie is 14 and very interested in everything horticultural and agricultural…he’s got a plot in the garden, has his own chickens and helps around with all sorts of the outdoor things. Ute was out of town and due back last Saturday when Jamie came by. He asked if she was home…not yet. Oh well can I plug this in here. Um ok. He ran extension cords all the way next door. Found out one of them didn’t work and had to switch them out. Then he disappeared for a while. Came back later and asked again if she were there. Not yet. Does it not work? No it does work. What are you waiting for? Permission…so I gave him permission to cut my neighbor’s yard…he gave me a skeptical look but I told him I would take all the blame. So he got started. And it was very nice…of course he’d waited so long that he didn’t get to finish before it got dark but he made a great start and Ute was very happy when she got home. I mean who wouldn’t be if someone else cut your lawn?
Found out later that he had sent ute a text asking if he could do it…she didn’t know the number but responded that if it was Jamie it would be ok…but then along with everything else the texts are usually still coming through but at great delay…I’ve gotten ones that were sent at 2 pm but they came through after I was asleep—so around 11…luckily I don’t usually have much trouble falling asleep again…

No comments:

Post a Comment