Friday, August 9, 2013

The middle of the week

Wednesday we went to the Botanical gardens. Beautiful place. I always find botanical gardens surprising in the middle of a city as they seem to be so big but sometimes I think they are just really well laid out. 
That night we were going to meet up with Wislande's prof (who had been our guide to the gardens) to see the night life that is so famous. And then the rains came so we ended up at the  sports bar/gambling house he goes to. It was a fun night. 

Thursday was my wandering day. I started on the metro with Wislande but got off on my own. I came up at the national theater and got trapped in its grounds as I tried to figure out where I was and where I wanted to go. I found the museum of art (3 different ones I think) and the national Library. That gave me my bearings and once I found my way out I headed toward the Zona Colonial. I saw the president's palace from outside the gate. I toured the "first Catholic Church" in the new world and was surprised by the vaulted ceilings (from the outside it looked like it would be very dark). There was a wedding rehearsal going on and I thought how strange/cool to get married in such a famous place. 
The rest of the day was wandering,
admiring architecture, and dodging the rain storms that didn't last too long (luckily). I had short smiley conversations with many different people and walked farther than I would have imagined (even though it was kind of what I had planned). I stopped for a juice at a restaurant on the water and my Mangola was wonderful. Continued walking and was really craving a coconut but found a guy selling water first. At the next corner (of course) was the coconut so I got that too. They cut the top off, pour the milk in a cup with ice and/or sugar, and then cut the coconut in half so you can eat the meat. I love it (especially that they serve it with ice). So refreshing! And a great end to my walk (I then rode the metro home). 

No comments:

Post a Comment