Thursday, August 8, 2013

Still DR

The DR has been an adventure as any new place (or any place really) always is. Traveling with Mathanie has been fun. We have introduced her to escalators and metros, helped Wislande (the friend we are staying with) to discover that there are 2 lines to the metro and how to switch without having to pay or to know which direction she wants. I think I've eaten very Haitian foods which I know that I get at the guest house but these are different. 
DR still has power cuts. It might depend on the section of the city you live in (I'm not sure) but there is a rough schedule and I think it is mostly followed. The power is out about twice a day...from 9 to 12 an then again in the afternoon and usually a couple hours in the night (the hardest one for me with my desire for a fan). 

In the last 2 days we have visited malls. As most of you know I usually avoid them when I can but they are different from anything in Haiti and we wanted Mathanie to see them. And they were more American than j ever would have imagined. The clothed seem of a cheaper quality but then I think they are cheaper as well (what would I know as it has been so long but then the clothes are still expensive for people here especially). I think I made it thru the experience pretty well given that I often only last 10 min or so. But today they were shopping again. This time at a different place but I had to throw in the towel and send them off. Well actually I left earlier than they did for a Zona Colonial tour on foot. I loved being on my own (so relieved I wasn't dragging anyone with me as I took lots of detours and didn't really know where I was headed). I'll try to give more details of my day in the next post...I think this one might be too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment