Friday, August 23, 2013

Sanding

Sadly this has nothing to do with the beach. Here in Haiti the buildings are made of concrete. Pretty much the whole thing--walls, floors, ceilings. Concrete blocks put together with very rough cement. Not nicely spaced with mortar like  in the states but afterwards everything is stuccoed with a much smoother cement. Then in order to paint it you must sand it first. I don't really know the reasoning behind it--if the paint adheres better or what, but that is the next step and it s a very abhorrent job. Sand paper and cement make a terrible rasping noise that is pretty loud especially when there are multiple people on the job (which you hope there are to get it done). And the dust it makes is all encompassing and hard to breathe through. 
Right now we are preparing the new school building at repatriate. We need one classroom for sure the beginning of September (beginning of school). So I was for we would be painting and I was up for that. Went with Marty to pick up paint (then got sidetracked for some other errands) and when we finally arrived at Repatriate they decided that the room needed to be sanded (I was sure that had already been done but obviously I was wrong). Ugh. 

2 comments:

  1. Why would I get the thought that none of the sanders wore face masks? I hope you missed most of the fallout!

    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually most of us did have some sort of mask though I know that they aren't always used. There was kind of a breeze that day and we needed it because that dust didn't go straight down...My sunglasses weren't quite protective enough for my eyes so I had to stop on occasion to 'cry' it out...

    ReplyDelete