Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nails

The day the group left I had my first adventure in public transport. Nadege was going out to get her hair done as she was in a wedding that afternoon and said I could come with her. I was all for going anywhere! We dropped the group off at the airport and then took a taptap. A taptap is the Haitian equivalent of the Malawian minibus. Which means put as many people in the back of your pickup and charge 5 gourdes (pronounced gudes) for the ride. They have put covers over them and benches along the sides for the passengers. My first ride we sat up front…and the windshield was a complete spider’s web of cracks…less so in front of the driver which comforted me. We went to a place where Nadege used to go…she told me I should get my nails done while we were there or I would just have to sit and wait. Sounded ok to me but I hadn’t realized she’d said anything when it became apparent that my nails were going to get done. So a manicure and pedicure…I was loving it and figured it was my Christmas present to myself as I wasn’t getting out often…French tips on my fingers and a dark color on my toes. When Nadege told me the price I almost fell over! All of that for only $5! I better watch out it might become a habit…
swimming with the jellyfish!
ah paradise

1 comment:

  1. Nice place, that "Paradise". Great to see and know you are getting a chance to enjoy (I won't mention that I'm working on the roof of a 12 story building with a minus 5 degree windchill all day long). Keep writing Jessi. It's keeping me warm!!!
    jim

    ReplyDelete