Monday, January 14, 2013

Creole

A derivative of French with mostly English grammar from what I’m learning. I’m using the book Creole Made Easy and wishing I had one of these for English…the spelling is just how you would pronounce it (unlike French where you don’t pronounce many of the letters) which makes it easier. And with my French it makes it a little easier to understand though I still get lost very quickly. When looking at the words they often don’t make sense at all until I try to say them outloud and then many of them are so similar to their French counterpart that I understand.
Mesi = Merci = Thank you
Bonswa = Bonsoir = Good afternoon (in French it is more of Good night but here it is used all afternoon)
Kapab = Capable = Can
Wi = Oui = Yes
Sitwon = Citron = Lemon or lime
Kontan = Contente = Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment