Thursday, December 15, 2011

triplets


two sets born within a week...one girls and one boys

I don’t remember what I’ve put in about the triplets before so I’ll do a quick overview. When I got back from Mozambique the first time there were triplets that had just been orphaned. We don’t know if they were premature as there were 3 of them and the mother didn’t do antenatal care checks…but they were tiny and not getting any bigger. They had an aunt taking care of them in the Kangaroo room (the mothers put the premie babies skin to skin on their chests to keep them warm enough.). I started to go in to help with feedings…out of syringes 10 mls at a time…every 2hours or so…so small and sleeping all the time…had to try to wake them up to feed them. The aunt had to go home to discuss with the family what would be done…none of them could really take them in but they didn’t want to give them up for adoption—different culture: adoption often means that the family takes care of them until they are big enough to help the family, not given up for good…I took 2 of them home for the day…jane and I watched a movie while the babies slept and ate…couldn’t put them down without them mewing for more…

Soon after that they went to live with two of the hospital staff. I don’t know that adoption has been decided or not but they are doing amazing. Tamanda is with Ellen who is the head nurse on maternity. Takondwa and Tadala are with Nyatipa who is the clinical officer on maternity and they are doing so well. Big girls…I think they’ve been traded out…

No comments:

Post a Comment