Thursday, November 1, 2018

Stories

We pass some of our older installed wells...this one was from 2014!

On the way out to the day's wells we got Stopped twice by police blocks. At the first he asked for my license and went to check that the insurance on the truck was up to date. No problem and on our way. The second officer greeted me and then Laurie in English and then asked where we were going. I said that I didn't know. In the morning we are sometimes given an area or region but I don't always remember or know where it is. He was shocked and asked how come? How can I not know where we are going especially as the driver? I pointed across to our Field Officer Alexander and said he's my navigator. "Oh, he's your compass?" Yes, exactly.

We were at another very small village where some of the young men spoke English. They thanked us when we arrived as well as on our walk back to the truck. But when it was time for the picture of the well they hid in the back. Too cool for a photo, until I turned the android around and showed the others the picture. Then they were first trying to see it!

One of my favorite things at a well is playing with the children. This often turns into chasing the children. They all (almost) will stand and even shake my hand in greeting but after that they don't really want to be anywhere near me. I will sidle up to one who looks brave or confident just to see what he or she will do. Sometimes they are so engrossed in watching the installation That I can stand there quite peacefully. Other times they are watching me and will move almost in time to my steps. At one well I have gotten them to chase me as I acted just as scared of them as they were of me. I also like to mimic how they stand as they studiously try to ignore me (while taking side glances at me). The rest of the village often gets a kick out of this as well.

At a well a grandfather came up to me with a chicken in his hands. Before the well was installed he gave me the chicken, shook my hand, looked in my eyes and told me thank you. This is a small gift, not enough, but what I have to give you for this gift of water. It is all I have. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment