Thursday, November 8, 2018

Moments

At some of the wells we install the original water source is quite near our new pump. (At others they indicate a very far walk.) One particular village had many holes and irrigation ditches not far from the new well. The water was grey and not anything I would want anyone to drink. In the comments at the end of the dedication the headman said, "As you can see, it is not a problem of having water. We have water but not good water until today. Now we have good water and can be healthy."

I know that I've used this quote from Tiffany in a previous blog: "It's like 6 Flags all day long and with no lines!" We repeated it over bumpy roads and tracks, just to remind ourselves that some people pay big money and wait hours in line for this experience. When team 2 started we had some 'smoothish' roads for the first 2 days...on day 3 I shared with Laurie as we bumped up to the first well of the day, "It's like 6 Flags all day long and with no lines!" Yes it is!

Driving all day gets long. We split it up between partners but the other time is bouncing along still on alert for holes, bumps and creatures in the road (or moving toward the road). I learned from Richard that whenever he passes soccer fields he does a figure 8 waving and honking the horn. i don't know if my Field Officers thought I would do that, but they didn't have me drive across any soccer fields for quite a while. I was able to do a few with the workers in the back trying to give directions before realizing what I was doing. Lucky for me the workers changed most days so it was a new experience for me to laugh as I wound around. On the last day I did circles in 3 soccer fields before the 1st well!!

I've been covering my head for 6 weeks with a scarf because my hair turns very dry and strawlike when I've been out all day with the windows down and dust all around. Also my neck and the tops of my ears were burning even with sunscreen. Richard gave me the large kerchief I'm wearing in most of the pics you've seen. Maria from our hotel in Rumphi gave me another when I asked for a lesson on tying one as mine wasn't big enough. i thought it was for the day but she said it was for me when I tried to return it!

"Yes yes yes good very good" was the continued refrain from a woman at her village's new well. She shook our hands multiple times as the installation took place, as the water flowed from the spout, and again as we made our way back to the truck. Missing all the English she knew, she knew there was a good change for her village.

*sorry if I'm repeating stories...I can't remember what I've put in but then again, they are worth repeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment