Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Exhaustion

I can drink the water from wells out in in past years (probably new wells too, but I'll give time to get the open water out). These two little ones filled my bottles and carried them up the steep hill to the truck!


At the end of the three weeks we join together as volunteers and staff to share a moment or moments that we noticed and will take back with us. As there are often quite a number of us, we try to keep it short (but that is only successful for some). I

I was in Tanzania at the end of Team 1, and we gathered as a team with the field officers in TZ for dinner on the last night. I spoke of knowing how well taken care of we were at all times even being so far out in the rural areas. Tipping mishaps, staying in unfamiliar places, with any questions we had. Wonderful feeling of new friends who are as close as family.

Then we drove to Malawi for Team 1 to prepare to fly out. At worship in the Sunday morning we shared more thoughts. It is always eye opening to hear everyone's impressions and take aways, newbies and veterans alike.

This is the first year that I stayed for both teams. I mentioned my exhaustion. At the end of 3 weeks, I am tired. As we walked to dinner that last night in TZ, I questioned myself as to what I was thinking and how I could possibly do another 3 weeks and I almost wanted to cry. At the end of that evening I knew that I had a long weekend to rest and 'recover' and I would be ready and refreshed to go again.

I spoke of the last day of installations. My Field Officer told me that by 2pm no matter how many wells we had installed we would be headed back to the hotel to return to Mbeya to be ready for dinner and leaving for Malawi the next morning. The hope was to install 9 wells. The first 6 went in with ease, some hiking, lots of appreciation. Well #7 we hiked to but could not install. The builder was new and hadn't been supervised well enough. So it would be rebuilt and installed by someone on Team 2. At that point it was 245 and I thought we were done.

"But the last 2 are close together, so we'll do those." I wilted. I didn't say anything but oh how I wanted to sit and not go on. But we are changing lives and bringing water to those who need it. What is my tiredness compared to the 200 people who would get clean water. I could do this.

And those last 2 wells were exactly what I needed. It was a huge village and they did already have 2 wells in that valley. We could see all 4 (2 old and 2 new) as we walked down the hill. The number of people there already using the wells and also waiting for us, ready for the installations and dedications, with their energy, smiles and excitement, revived me. I bounced and played, splashed and hugged.

We are refreshed when we've gone as far as we think we can. Helping others and being with them. Exhaustion does not stop us...(sometimes).

No comments:

Post a Comment