Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Tanzania encore!

Team 1 practicing entering well info into androids and find shade at the same time!


Orientation went well. It was long (only 1 day but there is a lot of info imparted). We were welcomed by each of the area coordinators (Nkhoma Synod & Livingstonia Synod in Malawi, Lutheran diocese in Tanzania, and the synod in Zambia). So that we don't have to listen to one voice, each of the returnees is asked to present a topic and mine was cultural differences. (Lucky me it was the same one I did last year and I still had my notes!!)  A few moments from the first 2.5 days:

At dinner the first night I asked for Nali Garlic, a garlic hot sauce that I adore. There are many different flavors of Nali (such as hot, ginger, gold, kambuzi, etc). The server said she would check (Nali Kambuzi was on the table, Hot the next day). She then came out with a bowl with peeled fresh garlic in it...not quite what I wanted but I couldn't be rude! While I didn't eat all of it with dinner I was glad for a room to myself --definitely no vampires either!I

During one of our breaks at orientation I had tea and I added some lemon juice. Not thinking anything of it I added milk as well and it curdled on contact...I had no idea it would do that but now I know. (And knowing is half the battle)

Tuesday morning we took off for Tanzania! Rev Mwasakifwa set our departure for 5am and he drove. With our luggage on top and well tied down we went. I was facing backwards as I get carsick from sitting sideways (This vehicle has two benches down the back facing in but we only had 3 people) and I saw a plastic bag look like it came from the top but it could have been over the car so I just kept watching....well that'll teach me! The next thing to go was a sports bra of mine! Stop the car!! The top of my action packer (black heavy duty Tupperware used as suitcase) had been tied down too tight and was bowed to catch the wind! Tied it down again and I got the plastic bag contents back but the sports bra was gone when we went to get it! Oops!

We crossed the border after a wonderful early lunch/breakfast in Mzuzu (Thank you, Peter!). A 12.5 hour day of travel to reach our hotel for the night. We lost another hour crossing the border into TZ and this are 7 hours ahead of NC time. 

We are now in Tanzania and it is time for some rest before starting tomorrow!!!

1 comment:

  1. I found Nali garlic today in a restaurant and I definitely thought about you! ��

    ReplyDelete