Tuesday, October 11, 2016

We're here!!

We're here!

Team 2 has made it to Malawi! It took a while (those flights cover quite a bit of distance) but we all made it and all our luggage did too!

Arriving at the Lilongwe airport is such a welcome relief and as much as I would have likes to pur off getting my visa until I arrived it is definitely nice to have it already done because the line is shorter to get through passport control. I met some fellow volunteers in Addis Ababa (my last layover) and we worked at pulling off action packers (luggage of choice for most MMM volunteers) from the luggage belts. I stepped out early to meet with Linn, whom I hadn't seen in the 4 years since I left Nkhoma! She is a Norwegian nurse and is down visiting right now and this would be our only chance to see each other as I'm headed north with MMM. It was a great but short catch up time.

Soon the rest of the team came out and we started loading up the trucks. I heard another familiar voice from Nkhoma and looked up to see Jane, an English nurse who I thought I was going to miss completely! How much fun to come all this way and meet up with friends from everywhere!

An hour's drive took us to Mponela where we come for training and to *catch up* on the jet lag (as if that can be done overnight). Dinner and a little chatter with new and known faces before crashing hard under our mosquito nets...

No comments:

Post a Comment