Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Tanzania


Three days in (it is Sunday now) and Woody Davis (from Jackson, Mississippi) and I have helped install 23 wells! We did 11 the first day. The villages in Tanzania are larger and many of them have had wells in past years and they want more because the need for clean water keeps lines long at the wells.

Tanzanians are a more reserved people compared to Malawians. We aren't greeted with the exuberance that I am used to but with a quiet earnestness as they greet us, listen to the dedication and watch the demonstration. They are very thankful to God for the opportunity to have the well, to those in America who donated to make it possible, and to us for helping with the installation.

If possible I find the children even more shy than in Malawi! I have scared one off just by smiling at her...not getting closer or anything. She didn't take off screaming, but she definitely left!

At one well there was a grandmother so excited she was bouncing through most of the dedication. She made sure to come and take my hand and we ululated together. Everyone still gets a kick out of that and I'm getting lots of practice. I still make a better sound when I move my head but to take a picture I try to keep my head still :)

I'm learning some Swahili as my Chichewa doesn't come in handy here.  Utukufu kwa Mungu (Glory to God) is on top of all the wells. And I try to say God bless you before I leave though I have yet to get it out smoothly-- Mungu awa bariki.

No comments:

Post a Comment