Saturday, October 29, 2016

Typical day (2016)

Tanzania and Malawi are a little different. In our days it doesn't seem to be much different but still. In Tanzania (and some of the stories I've heard from other volunteers even in Malawi) they don't stop for lunch. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with that. For one thing, I'd forgotten to bring any snacks to have when meals schedules and my hunger didn't quite get along. For another, I like to eat and take a small break from the bouncing and jostling of dirt roads. But, I figured I would be open...

My days have always started with breakfast. (Again, some volunteers say they skip that because they start so early--craziness, I say.) Usually an egg and white bread slices this year and sometimes a boiled sweet potato piece. (Last year add potato fries each morning.) Then load up the truck with more than enough pipes and pumps for the days plan (one day we planned on 10 and completed 11 because one just happened to be on the way back). And then start driving...

The roads are hazardous. People, bicycles, motorcycles, animals, other vehicles and a bad paving job....keeps you alert. Then you turn off the main road to a dirt road and all the same challenges apply (not the paving but then there are the washouts and ruts). Bouncing along to the first well after picking up a team of installers and builders. Here the villagers don't meet you at the truck. They trickle down to the well as it is being installed. Again they are shocked when I can do a basic greeting and I love seeing the smiles light up their faces. At many villages it is a second (or more) well so we don't have to do the demo or the full dedication service. We have a prayer, say a few words, and take a picture. Them it is off to the next well. These multiple wells are great. The need for clean water is so great that the lines at the wells are very long. And it was great to see previous wells that are still in good repair and use!

At some point we have a package if biscuits (cookies for Americans) and that suffices for lunch...and you eat them on the way to the next well. Once the wells for that day are done we head back to the hotel, and in some order depending on the time, shower, have dinner, prepare water and self for the next day and collapse into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment