Friday, July 26, 2013

Clinic

Since we had a medical team in and I wasn’t teaching (much—I still have a few classes), Maddie and I both went with the team to work in the clinic. A very welcoming group who were sure that we would be super helpful (little did they know that we didn’t really know what clinic is like). There were 5 doctors so we had to get a lot of patients ready in order to keep the doctors busy. There were 2 people in triage (they do vital signs and find out why the patient is there that day). And 3 in the pharmacy to count out all the drugs that were prescribed. And 1 person to go wherever needed. They put Maddi and I in triage to hand out vitamins to all the people who came (children’s chewables or adult multivitamins). We also did the temperatures with these devices that you just hold up to the person’s temple. And we did the weights of the babies…since they can’t stand on their own you often weigh the mom with the baby and then take the baby, weigh the mom, and subtract. I cut out a step by just weighing myself with the baby and subtracting…Then I often just continued to hold the child. I kept a few until they were ready to go into the doctor’s room but others I only kept until there was another that needed weighing.  I wandered the halls and into the pharmacy with them as the pharmacy is so removed. They were pretty happy to see and get to hold some happy babies.



Downside is that not all of the babies were wearing diapers…some were already damp (held for shorter times) and then I actually did get peed on.  Guess I had to take the good with the bad…I’ll say it was cooler to wear wet clothes (I rinsed all my clothes out well in the bathroom and was water wet for the rest of the day).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment