Monday, December 24, 2012

Stars

The evenings are long. It gets dark early but even more than that we have dinner at 5:30. That is early! I’m not saying that I’m not hungry by then but when dinner is over at 6 the question is what to do with the rest of the evening. For the first week I pretty much went back to my room and read or watched a movie on my computer or played computer games, but definitely wasn’t social. Patty, my roommate) would disappear for the evening. Then I decided I was done with that. But I still wasn’t social…I went up to the roof (they are flat here) and watched the stars. We are in the middle of Port-au-Prince so there is quite a bit of ambient light (even with power cuts they don’t seem to happen to the whole city or there are a LOT of solar and generator powered lights). But I’ve found some constellations and Jupiter and 2 shooting stars. I’ve started to use it as my quiet time. I set an alarm for 30 minutes and I just think or not. One night I thanked God for everyone I could think of…and I ended up thinking of people that I haven’t thought of in ages. It has been cloudy some nights but that doesn’t take away from the awesomeness of the night sky. I recommend it to you all either on your own or in the company of good people.
(I have also started being more social and watching movies with others in case you were worried about my being alone too much)

1 comment: