Tuesday, January 31, 2012

text miscommunication

When in town there is usually a long list of things to do…for yourself and for others. So I had some grocery lists from 2 others (not long ones) and needed to stop at the gas place so that if/when the power went again dinner could still be cooked, and the market, and get photocopies made, and pick up milk, and take the youngest kid to his occupational therapy session. And then you get texts during the day with other things that if you have time and can do would be great…signing up one child for swimming after school…picking up school calendar…well I thought that meant at the school where the missionary kids go so I went in to the office to ask for one and got a strange look but she said she would copy one and I could pick it up the next day. I also thought that was strange but ok…texted willeke back that they would copy it and she could pick it up tomorrow since she was driving in…ok where? Also a strange question I thought—first door on the left (office mananger’s desk)…then she asked first when she gets into to town or what…like an office world? And that is when I realize she just wanted me to pick up some 2012 calendars for Ebenezer because we don’t have one in the office or in the class rooms…too late now for me to do it…but when I texted her back the misunderstanding it reminded me of one from the beginning of my first year here…we asked her to pick up some double cream. She didn’t know what that meant…so I told her heavy cream…still not really. But she got something and I went to pick up the shopping that evening…when I got it home Rhona and I were looking through and couldn’t figure out why we had this container of nivea day and night lotion…until we read the description that mentioned cream…that wasn’t going to be very good in the dessert recipe we’d been planning to make, but it was very good for a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment