Wednesday, November 17, 2010

team teaching

So esther is now doing half of my class. the first week she said that she would do the math portion. She can do it and is doing it. I have to admit though it seems to go much slower with her up front but it could be because I’m sitting in the back with nothing to do. It was nice the first week though because the cut on my foot from the accident was still a little painful and I didn’t have to walk as much when she was doing the lesson. We are working from an American curriculum which makes some of the pages useless because they talk about pennies, dimes and nickels which aren’t used over here. Here we have the kwacha. And the coins are 1, 5, and 10 so not too bad but not with the same names (or any names really—5kwacha, 10kwacha and 1kwacha) but doable. Supposedly they have the kwacha also divided into 100 tambala but I’ve not seen it and it hasn’t been used in a long time so there is really no need to teach about it (I think). So one of the lessons that Esther was teaching was on money and for some reason she was talking about kwacha and tambala even though the coins she was using (that I had brought in) were all 1 or 10 kwacha…but the kids seemed to answer the questions and understand so I let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment