Saturday, October 9, 2010

communion

Sunday was communion at church. This has only happened a handful of times since I’ve been here (and I think it was started in the English service since I’ve been here) and this is the first Sunday that I’ve been in town for it. they change the service time to 7am instead of 8 for the English service…a deterrent on a good day. But of course I’m up as the sun is up much earlier and I’ve een up at 545 everyday for quite a while now…not many people at the service but I did see a familiar face from my Pearlington MS days. Doug Kee is in Malawi working with Marion Mission helping to build wells and is spending about a week in Nkhoma as his church is setting up a partnership with one of the nearby churches. The service is the same as every Sunday and when they get to the end of the regular service there is an announcement that if you are going to take communion you should move forward and everyone else seems to be dismissed as there was a mass exodus at that time. So I moved forward and the service seemed to start again…we said the Apostle’s Creed again and heard the words of institution—then had communion (bread and a pink juice) and then there was a second offering. Final hymn and then the announcements. Someone went around collecting some small piece of paper. I was then informed that there is a communion preparation service on the preceding Saturday that you are expected to attend if you are going to take communion. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment