Tuesday, September 7, 2010

school prep

Spent the last week of school getting ready for the new school year (as you do…should possibly have spent a little longer but I think you’re never really ready for school to start again even when you think you are). The school team has hired the new teachers for this year and done some restructuring:

3 year old or reception class- Teacher Rebecca and Teacher Lawrence
4 year old or pre-k class- Teacher Patience and Teacher Grace
5 year old/ kindergarten class- Teacher Esta
1st and 2nd grade split- Teacher Gift

As you can see I’m not on this roster—good as I’m leaving in December and the classes will need to be covered. Also means I don’t know what I’ll be doing when school starts again. Dorothy has told me that I’m to be assistant administrator or director or principal or whatever she is…but that doesn’t really tell me what I’ll be doing.

So the first order of business I was given to do was to stamp and enter all the books in the library into my computer so that we have a list of what we have and the teachers can use it easily to find what they need. Easier said than done I’d say. I do have my computer to take with me so that isn’t a problem but there is no electricity at the school so I can only work for the 2 ½ hours that the battery holds up…all the while coming up with the categories of where the books go and how to find them again and to stamp them with the official Ebenezer Institute stamp. Needless to say this is going to take a while. I get to work and the first part is easy. As we’re a Christian school lots of our books are religious and biblical…easy to categorize and shelve—bible, old testament, new testament, devotions, etc. but then we get into the regular books and learning to read books and which classes they might need to go into and where they should be on the shelf if they stay in the library…I think I know why people go to school for library sciences now. I thought it would be so easy (sorry to have underestimated what you do!). Dorothy and all the teachers were in and out all week setting up classrooms and getting things ready as well so I asked advice but still have oh so many questions. (I am almost through putting the books into the computer! Though where they are on the shelves are still good questions)

No comments:

Post a Comment