Monday, October 14, 2024

The demo

After the dedication and before the picture a demonstration on using the well correctly is done by the Field Officer, Installation Supervisor, or me. 

Correct pumping is two handed with one foot in either side of the pump facing the drain /spout/bucket. I start correctly then move a foot to the edge away from the pump. It is much harder. 

You pull the handle up to about your belly button to pump. Not super high, and not low enough to hit the top of the pump (giving you a good beat but not good for the pump). I demo both those and then dance around, looking from side to side, patting my baby on my back, waving at a friend and then turn around to sit on the handle…tsk tsk. Every one laughs at the azungu doing it wrong. 

Then to the bucket where I pretend to shower and wash my clothes, but as this is a shallow well neither should be done close to the well (bore holes are drilled and very deep and are ok to wash near)

You have to take your full bucket away and picking it up to put it in your head I find needs a mid high place…the concrete cap is good, the plastic spout is not!

It also brings lots of laughter when I put a bucket on my head and wave goodbye and start to walk away. I then pretend to trip and act like I’m going to spill the bucket but usually I don’t really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment