Monday, October 7, 2013

Rain

I've always loved the rain. As far as I can remember anyway. The smell, the feel of it, the thunder and lightning, the puddles to play in, the sound on the roof. And now I find that while I still love the rain it is more of a mixed blessing. I see its effects. In Malawi I still saw it as a purely positive thing. Dry season ending allowing the crops to grow and the people to have food. Until it becomes too much. 


Here in Haiti it is hot. All the time hot. And when it rains I am so relieved. But the first time it rained while I was here, I was reminded about the people in the tent cities and the fact that most of them won't get to lay down if it rains for too long. The rains also bring outbreaks of cholera in the city as the trash washes (more) into the water sources. For a while it wasn't raining long enough to actually cool things off, it only got muggy. This week though it has been raining and raining. I went out to look at it and saw Woodley downstairs in the rain. He beckoned me down and I was compelled to join him. What fun! Water washing us clean and bringing us closer together. (So glad I have a waterproof camera.)

It was puddling pretty quickly and was ankle deep before it stopped. Water doesn't soak into the ground quickly here with such hard packed dirt so mud abounds in the streets with potholes you could lose a car in. I say a prayer for those the water adversely affects as well as praise for the beauty in the storm.

Here is the foundation of our next HOM building at the high school site. It is well dug and hopefully won't collapse before it dries out and can be filled with concrete!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the prayer tip in this post ! :-)

    j

    ReplyDelete