Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Group work

My second group was from the Church of the Apostle in Montrose, Alabama. They came with 16 people ready to work both construction and education…so I was put with the educations team…no surprise there. When there is a group that works at the school, English classes are put on hold (during the day for the kids. I was still on for the teachers in the afternoons). I will have to admit that I’m not completely sure what the construction team did—there was some moving of topsoil at the Repatriate field (finished and waiting for grass seed), painting of various houses or the roofs of houses with a rust-proof paint to elongate their lifespan. (can I say that?) And stenciling the last 2 phrases on the school wall and painting one.
school children and their sponsors!
taking a bow after the performance

The education team had picked the story “The Rainbow Fish.” (I recommend it). In the classes they did art projects with the kids from the 3 year olds to the 5th grade. Different projects for each level and they had brought all the supplies they needed…it was an amazing undertaking. As there are two classes for each grade, they split into two art teams each with translators. They also had someone to read the story in the classroom in French! Fish with all sorts of decorations, jelly fish, octopi…it all came out of the classrooms and the kids and teachers loved it.
The 6th grade put on the play of the Rainbow Fish which I believe was made just for this play…There were 2 songs that one of the classes learned and performed. And the other class was putting on the play. 5 pages of text and lines and they memorized it in 4 days! It was amazing. And of course, when you are working with children you never know how it is going to go…especially children who didn’t have a choice in the matter or have ever seen a play! Erin works in children’s theater at home and I was assigned as her translator. She was relieved and happy and wouldn’t have let me leave if I could have found her another translator, I was nervous and hoping the kids would understand me (and listen to me). At one point during the week we had a revolt—they said they didn’t get their break yesterday so they were done for right now. Nothing I could do about it. They went out for break and then came back and did a great run through.
Friday morning the whole school went into the church to watch the play. Everyone did an amazing job…singing, saying their lines, moving around the stage and taking their bows. After the play the kids came and gave us hugs which was so sweet (as I had been hounding them all week to behave and listen and felt like a real tyrant). A wonderful play, cute story with the theme of sharing to make yourself happier, and a fun team to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment