Thursday, August 18, 2011

week 20

So I went to the lake with ute, mark and maretta…and then I stayed and came home with the veitches. Nothing like a long weekend and I’ll do just about anything to stay longer at the water. But it will be my undoing too. Monday morning swim with waves like the ocean I jumped over one and came down to soon…or too shallow and I landed wrong on my left foot…bent the wrong way and I felt it. But I stayed in the water as long as I could—using it as an ice pack…and then limped around for the rest of the time. When I got home, jane put me on the couch and told me not to move…I don’t take to that very well but limping around is hard to do. So I stayed on the couch when I had to but then I would get up and go places and then come back for more time with my foot up…
While important at the clinic I know that I’m dispensable but as I was already going stir crazy, Loes told me I could come and take the notes while she did the running around with the patients…so I sat in the exam room on the patient bed (not used except for certain cases on these mornings) and was even able to elevate my foot. Good thing because it was swelling more and turning a pretty shade of blue…
Wednesday was Jane’s birthday…so we had a good breakfast (bacon, eggs and toast) and then she had to go to Lilongwe to work at the big hospital there for the day. I was ordered to stay on the couch…so I went for a slow walk around nkhoma to get some pictures for Barbara before she left for the US…and made sure I was back on the couch when my roomies came home. Cake party when Jane got back from town—she’d told me not to tell anyone that it was for her birthday but of course I did…it was a fun gathering on our front lawn.
I was walking better on my foot by the end of the week though after being up for any time it was still a little blue but as it was hurting much less and I had an offer of a ride to the coast of Mozambique I decided to take it…left early Friday morning with the Veitch family and James on their way to South Africa by way of the beaches of Mozambique…

No comments:

Post a Comment