Wednesday, August 3, 2011

week 19

Sunday afternoon we decided to walk to the Linthepe…after church I told some of the people up at the guesthouse that if they were interested they were most welcome. About 2 oclock there were 12 girls from the guesthouse ready to go. Of course we get looks as we walk but whether we are one or 12 the looks are the same…I used to think that it changed with respect to numbers but now I don’t think so. It was good to have the group because we walk at different paces and there was someone for all to walk with (especially me since I found out I live with 2 power walkers). Nice breeze at the river and a group gathered when we stopped so we didn’t stay too long.
Got a trip to town on Monday. Dropped off some for a safari in zambia—wished I were going too but then I did go last year (and I wasn’t invited). It was quite early since they have such a long way to go so I had plenty of time to run any errands I had before picking up another traveler coming to visit Barbara and nkhoma. Even had time to sit and have a cup of tea and was home before noon so I felt extremely productive with half a day to still do things around here.
I’d been told that I had 2 packages sent to me in march and they still hadn’t arrived so we’d all given them up as lost. And then they did arrive! So I got to celebrate my birthday again! Only 4 months late…very exciting!
Clinic was of course very busy since everyone who had missed their appointments the week before came as well as those who were supposed to come (at least most of them) came and then there were new patients who had heard about the clinic either for blood pressure and diabetes (david’s normal clinic) or the epilepsy (which is actually funded by Africa burn relief—as epilepsy often is a direct cause of burns especially in third world countries). It is so nice to see patients coming back (on time) who haven’t had any other episodes and know that the medication is working. It is also very nice to watch david as he sees patients and shows his passion for medicine because he loves to explain cases (and while I don’t really understand anything) there are usually medical students in observing and you can tell that he is a teacher and doctor because he loves it.
Wednesday was malawi’s independence day and thus a public holiday here in Malawi (july 6). We jumped in the car and headed for lunch at Dedza. Only about 45 minutes away and very picturesque. We ate at the pottery place, well known for their pottery and their cheesecake. The car felt that it was pulling when we got on the dirt road so we got out and walked…it was a beautiful day and not a far walk from the main road (about 1 km according to the sign but I think it is longer)…
Thursday and Friday were the last days of the school year for ebenezer so I went to see the sports day on Thursday…sadly they started earlier than I had been told and it was all over when I got there…but it sounded like everyone had a great time. And then Friday I was on time (well a little late) but they had just started the ending assembly. It included a presentation of some sort from each class, either recitation of poems or songs or reading. The first grade recited some poem about the days of the week that had to do with someone eating something on Monday, getting sick on Tuesday, going to the doctor on Wednesday, something else on Thursday, died on Friday, funeral on Saturday and heaven on Sunday…so a days of the week but a bit morbid…and second grade sang “what a friend we have in Jesus” and danced a Scottish dance (one of the volunteers is Scottish). Then there was graduation from kindergarten and presentation of awards for each of the classes. It was very special.
And a get away to the lake for the weekend—staying at the cottages that the synod keeps up. A nice place that is not on the regular tourist area so less vendors coming to sell their wares of wooden carvings and baskets…very windy and cool but of course we swam anyway regardless that it is winter here…

No comments:

Post a Comment