Sunday, August 1, 2010

leaving

I seem to find myself jobs where people don’t stay. In other words working with volunteers or short time workers. Of course I often find myself in the same position (the one leaving) but still. Last year I worked for Presbyterian Disaster Assistance as Volunteer Camp Manager and dealt with volunteers coming for a week or 2 at a time to help rebuild on the Gulf coast. This year the people I’m meeting are here for anything from 4 weeks to 6 months. And while you get used to the turnover and people coming and going it is still hard to see friends leave. Of course for a while after they leave you still expect them to show up for dinner—just a little late.

3 comments:

  1. I'd come to dinner if I could. I'd even make some honey glazed chicken. Stay healthy. Your writings are still moving and fun to read. The elephant encounter of a close kind was gripping! jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats how we feel about you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was one of the volunteers to leave the PDA camp in Pearlington, Mississippi, and we are still in touch nearly two years later. I just can't make it to dinner on time very often!

    ReplyDelete