Sunday, August 8, 2010

end of the year assessment challenge

For the end of the year I had to come up with an assessment sheet to show what my kindergarteners know and what they should know by the end of kindergarten. As I don’t have any experience in any of these aspects of life or teaching I found it quite challenging. I have resources that I can look at but as Ebenezer is a new school and in Malawi and not America or Canada or Europe (where most of our resources come from) the standards are going to be different even if we are striving to raise them to that level of accomplishment. The basics are easy (to know that they belong on the list)—alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, etc. however, is it that they recognize the letter (number, whatever) or that they can write it or they know the sound it makes or what it represents…and then how do you actually check that? Asking them in group time gets communal answers, asking one on one gets answers sometimes but they are often distracted as all the rest are cavorting around the room. Depending on which way you ask or when can also change whether the student answers correctly or just gives you a blank look and waits for you to tell them what they should repeat. Makes me feel a bit incompetent but we’re working through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment