Wednesday, November 11, 2009

fundraising

so now i've started the fundraising--sending letters, emails and now to the blog...(most of you have seen this already but if you check out the bottom you'll see how it's coming along)

Dear Friends,
After spending eight months in South Mississippi (Pearlington) doing Katrina relief with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, I decided that it was time to flee the country again. I was at a loss on where to go (there are so many places that I still haven't been). But after five months of agonizing, wavering, wondering, praying and planning--I've figured it out (for another year).
I'm in contact with the Ebenezer School in Nkhoma, Malawi (Africa). They are a new school (started last year) and they want to add a Kindergarten and a Reception (pre-k) class. They have invited me as a volunteer missionary teacher to teach one of those classes along with one of the Malawian teachers beginning January 2010 for a year.
Since I've been looking into serving in Malawi, I've been reading articles and talking with many people who have been involved in mission work there. The official languages are Chichewa (which I don't know) and English (which I'm normally pretty proficient in). School is taught in English. I'll spend the next two months getting ready to go, reading more, learning some Chichewa, and observing Kindergarten and pre-k classes (since I've never done this before).
I'm writing to ask for your support of this trip. The school has agreed to pay my rent and I am now raising money for my travel, food and incidentals while in Nkhoma. My estimated costs are:
Flight $2000
Food $150/month = $1800
Utilities $500
Incidentals/Bus fare $150/month =$1800
Vaccinations, malaria pills $900
Total $7000

This averages out to about $19 per day, $135 a week, or $575 a month. Support for even one day would be a great help. I will be sending email updates (send me your email if you would like to receive them) and posting to a blog (travelcontinued.blogspot.com). When I return I would be glad to share pictures and stories, answer questions and give presentations.
I greatly appreciate your support whether it is financial and/or spiritual. Any funds that I raise above my goal or that I over estimated will be donated to the school to continue its ministry and purpose including scholarships for students. Checks can be made out to Black Mountain Presbyterian Church (and are tax deductible) with "Jessi Stitt-Malawi" in memo line and sent to either:

Jessi Stitt
203 Tomahawk Ave
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Black Mountain Presbyterian Church
117 Montreat Rd
Black Mountain, NC 28711

Thank you in advance for your time and prayerful consideration of this request. Please call or email me at 828-242-6790 or jessi.stitt@gmail.com with any questions or comments.

Peace and grace,

jessi

here's the breakdown of what i've raised so far and i'll keep updating as i go (700 out of 7000)...
school fundraising ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment