Saturday, April 6, 2024

Borders/Boundaries




Madison (another short term volunteer at a different Annunciation House site) and I crossed into Juarez one afternoon. The way into Mexico is through a turn stile and cost $.50. No id necessary. Up and over a bridge. At the top is a small marker that delineates the US from Mexico. And then down the other side of the bridge and we were in Mexico. 



We wandered down to the cathedral, looking at street vendors and small shops along the way. I bought a bag of guavas about 15 of them for $.60. Ate as many as I could before giving the rest away as I knew I couldn’t bring them back with me. 



We each bought a cup of sliced mangoes and I also got some coconut. They add some sweet and spicy spices to them that is wonderful. And then we headed back. 



It is $.40 to get on the bridge to go to the US and at the top there are US agents who want to see id before you get to go further. At the bottom of the bridge you have to go inside and show your id to customs agents, get your picture taken, and your bags scanned. Madison got grilled as to what she was doing in Juarez, in El Paso, how long she was staying. My agent didn’t speak to me at all. And then we were back in the US. 



We talked of our time with Annunciation House. It’s her first time down here and she feels really thrown into it. With the lower number of volunteers she and I are the only ones staying in our houses overnight. (I have some community vols who do some of those shifts). We talked of the ease that we as Americans with our passport privilege can easily stroll into and out of other countries but that our neighbors can’t. That when we are at our houses even if we aren’t on shift we are asked for help and questions and we feel ‘on’. That some of our guests feel pushy but that is how they advocate for themselves in this place where otherwise they can be easily overlooked. 



We talked about trying to set boundaries for ourselves in our off time but that for me looks like getting out of the house and away or hiding in my room. That even that is a privilege that I am able to do because my life is not in turmoil and I hold keys to the house. 



Borders, boundaries: both are arbitrary. The Rio Grande has even been rerouted to move the border. Our boundaries change as we get to know people, become more comfortable with where we are, learn what we can handle. 



It was a pleasant afternoon but gave me lots to think about. As have many of the exhibits I’ve found in the museums around El Paso. 

No comments:

Post a Comment