Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Devo

(This was supposed to post last week but I just found it in my drafts)

Today's was one that I wrote so here it is:


BEING PRESENT 
 Jessi Stitt Volunteer, North Carolina 
 You teach me the way of life. In your presence is total celebration. Beautiful things are always in your right hand. - Psalm 16:11 

 Day 6: The last three wells we were going to install weren’t too far apart and yet, they weren’t all that close together either. When the wells are close, we can install, pray, and take a picture and then go to the second with the whole crowd to do the dedication service. Often we will walk between the wells. But these three wells were far enough apart to get their own dedication services and for us to drive to the next wells. 

 We installed the first well, did the dedication service, and took the picture. After the celebration we returned to the truck and drove to the second well. As we were installing it, I recognized a young girl in green from the first well. She gave me a shy smile, joining in the singing and celebration just like it was new to her. We dedicated the well, celebrated and returned to the truck to continue to the third well. 

 We were in the midst of the installation, I was greeting those at the well. I had shaken the hands of the adults and had moved on to the children – who are excited and scared to touch the azungu (foreigner). It sometimes takes a couple of brave souls to first shake my hand before the rest are clamoring to be next. And who should I see but the girl in green, that same smile on her face and her hand outstretched.  
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RE93gotn-ky4It0aaB2UKdHfw4o84Ki9Maybe she knew that she was seeing a miracle in the clean water. Maybe she was just bored and this was the most exciting thing happening in the area. Maybe she just wanted to be in another picture. But to me, it showed dedication to trek between the villages, participate in the celebrations. It showed joy in the happiness of new beginnings.
 I was tired, it was the end of a day at the end of a busy week. Her presence gave me energy. She reminded me that showing up can be a gift. 
 Application: When is the last time you had an opportunity to show up for someone? Did you do it? How will you show up for someone today? 
Prayer: Creator of all, Thank You for this day. Thank You for those who show up and are present. Help us to be one who shows up, help us to recognize Your presence in those around us. Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment