Thursday, March 10, 2022

Mount Cristo Rey


 On one of my days off, Angel and I went to the Mount Cristo Rey monument just over the New Mexico border.  It was the dream of Fr Lourdes Costa, a local parish priest in 1933. There were earlier less permanent crosses before it was dedicated in 1939. The pathway up has these blue crosses as the stations of the cross. Angela is Catholic and asked if I would mind if we said the prayers as we ascended. I have seen different representations of the stations of the cross but never really done them. We used the videos from catholic.org. We shared our life stories and travels in between the crosses and then would pause and listen and then recite the prayers. (I think I got the prayers I didn't know to begin with after the 14 repetitions.) I enjoyed the fellowship as well as the in depth prayers about what Jesus was going through and how it could relate to our lives now. It was a moving experience.

The Mount is also very close to the border with Mexico. Once we were on the ridge and other side from where we started the hike we could see the wall.  It cuts right through what is mostly desert. You can also see it run through the city. There is a constriction in my chest when I see it...man-made division, trying to divide.


the one who watches over. It is quite an impressive statue-arms outstretched. When we were at the monument, there were also two border patrol agents who had climbed up (not following our same path).

Dinner that night was at Kiki's Restaurant with Angela, Kathy, Connie and myself

No comments:

Post a Comment