Saturday, December 5, 2015

thanksgiving thoughts

There are so many things to be thankful for and now is one of the times that we recognize them even when they are with us year round.

Friends, family, housing, electricity, running water, food, clothing, transportation, and the list goes on...

I know that not everyone has these things or the abundance of them that j have been blessed with. This, of course, becomes obvious when I'm in Malawi but it is just as true at home in Black Mountain.

Putting in wells gives clean water to people who have been struggling to find any water. Water is then available closer to their village and it is clean as it comes from a covered hole.

At some of the villages, we were putting in a second well. Some were close to the first well and others were on the other side of the village. I found myself thinking, "Why are we here? There are so many other places that don't have access to one well and yet we are putting in a second here." And that is true. There are many places that still need a first well, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't provide another well. In the remarks of the village, they would talk of the size of the village and the fact that the women coming to gather the water still have to wait for hours for their turn to pump water. That some women are resorting to the unclean water because the lines are so long.

I would realize that these wells are needed. Right where it is. With the first well that is there. I would realize the double standard that I have. I dont understand having to walk for water or wait for water. I get frustrated, even in Africa, when my hotel doesn't have water in the room or at least the bucket bath ready when I want it.

Who am I to judge where a well goes in...I have tap water at my disposal, clean, safe, hot or cold and pretty much unlimited. I'm glad it isn't up to me because I am flawed and come with premade judgements (prejudices). I work to remember to do whatever I can, for as long as I can, because I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment