Saturday, November 21, 2015

moments

This year was different. Yes, I had the same partner, worked in the same areas, drove the same truck, did the same dedication services. Yes, the wells all seem to run together in the evenings when we were trying to remember the small special things from the different wells. But there are, of course, different things that stick out.

--one headman said that he was so grateful for the well on behalf of his and surrounding villages because now the women can stop fighting over the small amounts of unclean water they have been able to find in the area.

--we installed a second well in a couple villages. They are very large villages and the headman said that with only one well, the women were getting up very early and still not getting home until midday. Other women were using open holes and dirty water because the wait was so long.

--a headwoman expressed her appreciation for our coming to install the well. She said that even after they had dug the hole, and bricked it in, and covered it, she couldn't figure out how we would ever get water to come out of the hole. And now she had seen it done!

--my favorite this year --
--a young Malawian child ran TO me in tears...I'm very used to them running away in fear but this was a first! When we arrived, I greet as many people as I can, adults and children. She just looked at me -wouldn't say anything or give me a thumbs up. At the end of our dedication we were lining up for the picture. And the villagers and Jan and the field officer tried to get this little girl into the picture. She would have none of it and ran to me and buried her face in my skirt. I wondered whether she realized that she'd picked an azungu. After I took the picture I rubbed her back some and she then looked up at me and took my hand. Everyone was shocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment